While the problem with the previous PHP Web Rcon script we tried wasn’t related to un-open ports, that was the trouble with the new script I wrote myself. I have since had the appropriate outbound ports opened and now the script is working great!
The general idea of the script is now complete. Any additional changes will be aesthetic or to improve convenience (drop down boxes instead of text boxes). Other than that, it should remain pretty as it is now; unless my PHP skills improve dramatically and I get an itch.
Hope you’ll enjoy it! You can access it from the Tools menu or here: http://rcon.ducesoforion.com.
Turns out that it wasn’t the ports on the server that was a problem. The ports in the script I was using were limited to 7770 7780 – for another game. I gave up trying to modify it because it wasn’t a straight forward solution.
I have opted in favor of writing my own PHP script using an rcon library I found on sourceforge.net. I have a working copy running now, albeit extremely slow on my very lousy home server.
I’ve tried running it on better servers but there is a problem I have not been able to track down. I will post again when I have that solved.
I’ve added a PHP RCon script to the site (in the menu). Initially this won’t work because we don’t have the outbound ports on the server open yet.
As of 2/21/2014 the San Jose server is unresponsive. Today I found it its because MavericServers.com had to shutdown the California server and has moved it to New York. The new IP is 188.8.131.52, everything else remains the same.
I’m currently looking into having this server hosted in Dallas instead, but New York will be ok if that isn’t possible.
I know I said it was finished before, but this time it is actually finished. I have gotten ALL of the user information and other data from the previous site (except birthdates – not possible) setup in the new site. I have solved every problem, and even customized the CSS and theme in a way that I am happy with.
Hopefully I will now be able to tear myself away from this project and get back to other things; they are starting to pile up. I must say I’m not 100% satisfied with the new logo, I might pursue options there: http://ducesoforion.com/forums/topic/duces-of-orion-logo/#post-625
Late last week our site hit counter passed 2,000! This is the same hit counter that we had at http://ducesoforion.webs.com and keeps the hits from when the site was there.
I think I’ve done all I’m going to do as far as adjusting user profiles, last activity dates, join dates, etc. Nearly everything is in sync with where it was on the old site so we can move forward from here almost seamlessly.
There is a lot of new functionality, for example members are now categorized by rank (see About Us > The DO Ranking System for more info). The new forums are a vast improvement over the old forums. We don’t currently have a photo gallery anymore, but I may work on adding something at a later time.
From here out there will be periodic marginal improvements, like I might want to tweak the CSS a bit more in a few places. I also need to do something about the registration process, and I’m sure there are other things I haven’t noticed yet.
I have all of the old profiles now created as users in BuddyPress. I still don’t have all of the previous user profile data in BuddyPress, I will likely work on that more in the near future.
Last night I was able to finish moving all of the forum posts from webs.com to our new bbPress forum (1 post at a time). Extremely tedious, but I’m happy that I was able to keep the original author/poster and the original time stamps.
With the forum up and running and all the users created, I think its time to go live. Last night I transferred the site out of our development area (dev.ducesoforion.com) and its now live on ducesoforion.com which was a nightmare in itself. There were over 600 MySQL Database entries where the URL was hardcoded. Luckily I found a pretty easy query that I ran to take care of most of them.
I still have plans to tweak the CSS a bit and a few other odds and end, but we’re pretty much setup with out new website.
I’ve ported the entire News thread manually (1 post at a time), but now that its done I’m pretty happy about it! Next I’ll probably do Member Profiles and then the Forums last.
Since SpoonAge joined the clan and we got our own domain (ducesoforion.com) I’ve been wanting to move our site off webs.com (formerly freewebs). I had originally intended to go with a new HTML/CSS template until I started learning what you can do with WordPress.
In June of last year, I decided to go with WordPress instead and I had Doflamingo setup a site using a template I found that I thought might do the trick for us called GamePress. Its intended to be a gaming site with reviews and videos rather than a clan site. However the color scheme was close to what I wanted and it could definitely server as a clan template, so that’s what I went with.
Shortly after Doflamingo’s real life too precedence and the project has since been pretty much stagnant. So the last week or so I’ve been thinking about it more, and reviewing what we have and I decided to move forward with the project.
I now have most of the pages moved over, and I’m working on the news thread. The menu structure will be a little different, but largely the site will be the same.